Jay-Z has revealed that he had a four-day argument with Kanye West during the recording of their joint album in 2011, Watch The Throne.
The rapper told Radio 1’s Zane Lowe that the spat was over tracks he had saved for his next solo record that he thought weren’t right for them.
“We spent four days arguing about those records,” he said.
There was some pushing at one point but not between us, just everyone else got a little excited
Jay-Z on Kanye West argument
“I was explaining to him why it wasn’t right and I had an idea for making this album called Magna Carta Holy Grail.”
The pair started working together more than 10 years ago with Kanye West producing Jay-Z albums like The Blueprint, The Black Album and Kingdom Come.
Jay-Z also appeared on Kanye West’s first three albums and they collaborated on tracks including Run This Town from Jay-Z’s The Blueprint 3 and Monster from West’s 2010 record My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy.
But the rapper said their argument didn’t last long.
“There was some pushing at one point but not between us, just everyone else got a little excited,” he said.
Jay-Z says he fell out with Timbaland but they are now friends again
During the recording of his latest album, Jay-Z did fall out with friend and producer Timbaland.
But he says things are all back to normal now.
“The fall out happened at the end of the Blueprint 3 album,” he explained.
It’s always floating out there. We just don’t want to make it a gimmick. It has to be the real thing and it’s slowly making sense as far as a tour, but not an album
Jay-Z on working with Beyonce
“A couple of songs were getting leaked that were his songs and that whole thing just ruined the process.
“Everyone has to put egos aside for the sake of the project and he wasn’t accepting of that and that was almost like the last straw.
“When he came back, I saw a new Timbaland. He has this maturity and this growth and I was like, ‘Oh OK, this is going to work out’.”
Jay-Z also talked about not wanting to be a politician, the making of new single BBC and said being a father had given him a purpose greater than his own.
And he admitted he wasn’t against the idea of him touring with his wife, Beyonce.
“It’s always floating out there,” he said. “We just don’t want to make it a gimmick. It has to be the real thing and it’s slowly making sense as far as a tour, but not an album.”
- Jay-Z: I argued for four days with Kanye West over Magna Carta Holy Grail (metro.co.uk)
- Jay-Z Interview With Zane Lowe Pt. 1 (Video) (dajaz1.com)
- Audio: Jay-Z – Zane Lowe Interview (rudeboyy.com)
- Jay-Z & Kanye West Argued Over Magna Carta Holy Grail Tracks! (perezhilton.com)
- Jay-Z And Kanye Argued Four Days Over (4umf.com)
- Jay-Z & Kanye West Got Into An Argument Over “Oceans” & “Holy Grail” (allhiphop.com)
- Jay-jay Z And Kanye West Argued For Four Days Over Magna Carta Tracks (contactmusic.com)
- Jay-Z interivew with Zane Lowe , 4 day argument with Kanye West (gonesofar.wordpress.com)
- Jay-Z Explains His Former Beef With Timbaland (VIDEO) (allhiphop.com)
- Jay-Z and Kanye West argued for four days while recording joint album (upi.com)